1. What are the advantages of purchasing videos from MyChildPsychologist.com?
- The videos contain easy-to-understand, scientifically-proven information about various behavioral/emotional issues and normal child development.
- The videos are affordable. Each video costs less than an office visit copay.
- Immediate access to topics I am interested in from licensed clinical child psychologists who have a combined total of over 30 years of clinical experience.
- It is faster to watch a video than read a book.
- I can obtain information on normal development to determine if my child has a problem.
- I can watch a video at my convenience. I will not have to leave work early or find a babysitter for my other children.
- I can initially familiarize myself with information on behavioral or emotional concerns without taking my child out of school.
- I can view these videos privately without claims to my insurance company.
- I can become an educated consumer of psychological services.
- I can obtain information from actual clinical child psychologists who will give me the latest research findings that are relevant to my child’s needs.
2. How does MyChildPsychologist.com work?
3. If my child is already seeing a therapist, is there any benefit to viewing these videos?
Our videos are divided into 2 categories—positive parenting and behavioral/emotional disorders. If your child is seeking psychological services already, these videos can be used in addition to therapy. We provide information about scientifically proven treatment approaches to ensure that your child is receiving the most effective treatment. Our videos offer parents the opportunity to fully understand the therapist’s techniques and ask questions so they can become a partner in their child’s treatment.
Even if your child is seeing a therapist, you may have an interest in some of our parenting videos in the positive parenting video library. We cover a variety of topics that parents may find useful since therapy may be focused on other treatment issues.
4. What can I expect to see in the videos?
All of our videos on childhood disorders include normal stages of child development, definition of the problem, steps included in an evaluation, and treatment recommendations that are supported by research. Our positive parenting videos are designed to offer sound strategies to improve children and parents’ quality of life and improve overall family functioning. Most of the videos include examples to illustrate our discussion points. All videos are professionally produced and edited to ensure a high quality product.
5. How long are the videos?
The videos are all approximately 10-20 minutes in length.
6. Who are Dr. Catherine Judkins and Dr. Dawn Koontz?
Dr. Judkins and Dr. Koontz are licensed clinical child and adolescent psychologists trained to work exclusively with children who have behavioral and emotional issues. Drs. Judkins and Koontz received training in empirically-supported assessment procedures and intervention strategies. They graduated from the University of Kansas in 2001 and have devoted their careers to excellence in clinical service delivery to children and families. They are practicing clinical child psychologists and co-founders of MyChildPsychologist.com.
7. What if I want more information on a particular problem beyond the information provided in the videos?
Please consult our Resources section for links that can provide you with access to various websites. If you are looking for information on a particular topic not listed, please suggest a topic by filling out the short form at the bottom of our site.
8. What if I am having trouble viewing the videos?
Please follow these steps to upgrade to the most recent version of Adobe’s Flash Player:
- Before installing Adobe Flash, you will need to first uninstall any older versions you currently have running on your computer. To do so, download Adobe’s official uninstaller here. Make sure to select your correct operating system, and then "Uninstall Flash."
- Now that you’ve uninstalled the older version of Flash, follow Adobe’s instructions for reinstalling the most recent version. The download option is on the right-hand side of the page.
- Once you’ve downloaded the file, please exit your browser first, and then install the upgraded version of Flash to you’re computer.
- Finally, open your browser again and return to mychildpsychologist.com. You should now be able to successfully watch videos!
9. What if I try the techniques in the video and they do not work for me?
Our videos are meant to be educational and informative. We recognize that each child is unique and may require a more tailored treatment intervention than we can provide here. These videos are not meant to be a substitute for psychological treatment and should not be considered advice specific to your child and family. We highly recommend that you seek consultation with a clinical child psychologist in your area. A referral to a clinical child psychologist can be obtained from your pediatrician or insurance company. We would also recommend that you watch our free video on “How to Choose a Child Psychologist.”
10. What if I don’t see a topic I am looking for? Is there a way for me to submit suggestions for future videos?
Yes. Please fill out the short form at the bottom of our website and suggest a topic.